Login Register

Welton can't recover from nightmare start

By Somerset Guardian  |  Posted: September 06, 2012

Comments (0)

Welton Rovers 0 Westbury United 3

Welton Rovers suffered their third league defeat in a row as visiting Westbury United made a flying start and then held on under severe second-half pressure.

Rovers found themselves two down after only ten minutes, the first coming five minutes in when a poor goal kick from Chris Blammon fell to David Percival just outside the area. He immediately shot across the box where the ball struck the unfortunate Welton skipper Jack Metcalf and flew into the net.

Five minutes later it got worse for Rovers when a long ball out of defence from Westbury dissected the home back-line and the ball fell at the feet of Mark Young, who looked in an offside position, but nothing was given and he raced forward before firing past Blammon.

Welton were shell-shocked but eventually got their act together and a cracking effort from Andy Keen was well saved by Lewis Porter in the Westbury goal.

Further good play from Welton saw Paddy Doyle's long-range shot go close, while Porter was on hand again to deny Jake Slocombe.

At the other end, Welton had Greg Dando to thank when he cleared off the line to deny the visitors a third just before half-time.

The second half began with Chris Brimble on for the injured Dan Scrivens and Welton's first attack of the half saw Lewes Parker turn his marker but then shoot wide.

Andy Catley drilled a free-kick into the box and the unmarked Keen was an inch away from connecting for a certain goal.

Welton suffered another setback when Slocombe was injured, replaced by youngster Matt Curtis, but further pressure saw the Westbury defence all over the place, and the ball fell to Metcalf, who managed to get a toe to it but the effort was saved by Porter.

Welton refused to give up and a rasping shot from Catley was saved by Porter's legs, while Keen's powerful header was goalbound but the keeper found himself in the right place to make the block.

This galvanised Welton and Porter was forced into two outstanding saves to deny Sandquist and Keen but the vital breakthrough for Rovers would not come.

To rub salt in the wound, a rare Westbury attack saw the ball strike the post and fall to Beau Blakeman, who tapped in the visitors' third from close range.

Read more from Somerset Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters